Gagran ‘solidarity march’ foiled

Sep 11th, 2013 | Category: Articles

Authorities on Tuesday imposed curfew in several parts of Pulwama, Anantnag, Kulgam and Shopian districts of South Kashmir to foil the Gagran Chalo (solidarity march) call given by Hurriyat Conference Chairman, Syed Ali Shah Geelani over the killing of four youth by CRPF on Saturday.

Reports reaching GNS said that hundreds of CRPF troopers and policemen were deployed in Shopian, Gagran, Kulgam, Pulwama and other parts to foil the Hurriyat march. The forces enforced an undeclared curfew and confined the residents indoors. Similar restrictions were also enforced in several parts of other neighboring areas. The forces had blocked important crossings and roads leading to Gagran and Shopian with spools of concertina wire and mobile bunkers.

Reports said that scores of people assembled in Gagran , Memander and Sharmal area of Shopian and staged massive pro-freedom demonstrations. When they tried to lead procession march, police and CRPF personnel intercepted them. The forces burst tear smoke shells and fire rubber bullets demanding punishment for the guilty and removal of Gagran CRPF camp. The protesters pelted stones on forces triggering clashes that continued throughout the day. At least 6 persons received minor injuries during the clashes.

Hundreds of police and paramilitary CRPF men were deployed in Main town Shopian and its adjoining areas and people were not allowed to come out of their homes. “We were not allowed to move out of our homes since morning,” the residents of these areas said.

Meanwhile, authorities late in afternoon relaxed curfew in some parts of South Kashmir, sources said


The authorities on Wednesday put Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani and other pro-freedom leaders under house arrest to prevent them from marching towards Gagran village while as some senior pro-freedom leaders including Peer Saifullah, Ayaz Akbar, Dr. Ghulam Muhammad Ganaai and Muhammad Ashraf Laya were being arrested from their houses and taken to unknown place.

Deputy Commissioner, Shopian, Bashir Ahmed Bhat while talking to GNS said, we are monitoring the situation regularly and have decided to relax curfew in phased manner.

“There was no untoward incident reported in the area and overall situation was peaceful today,” he said.

Commenting over yesterday’s Police statement that three slain persons were innocent DC said we have not received any police report that victims were innocent. “I can issue orders for probe into the incident only after receiving report from Police,” DC said.

Kashmir Pellet Victims – I want my eyes back

Kashmir Solidarity Day

Kashmir: Born To Fight

Leave a Comment